For Sinus Center – Idaho Patients:
For Allergy Clinic – Idaho Patients:
At Sinus Center- Idaho, we are working hard to give you the best care possible, but we ask that you also become a partner in your healthcare. The fact is, lack of communication is a significant cause of medical errors. Fortunately, most errors are preventable, especially when patients become active and informed participants in their own healthcare. Recently United Health Foundation in conjunction with the National Patient Safety Foundation, published the following recommendations:
- Speak up if you have questions and concerns and do not be shy about asking our doctor, nurse, or billing department for more information from reliable sources. As good health professionals, we value the opportunity to educate you about your healthcare problems.
- The American Hospital Association recommends asking our doctor about all of the various options for your treatment, the benefits, the risks, and the side effects. Be a full partner in making decisions about your care.
- Make sure you and every member of your healthcare team knows about every prescription, over-the-counter medication, herbal product, or dietary supplement you may be taking. Be sure the Addison Surgery Center knows about any allergies or adverse reactions to any medicines or anesthesia.
- When we write a prescription, make sure you can read it and that you fully understand what it is for. Be sure you know exactly when, how to take the medicines, and make us aware of any potential side effects that these medicines may cause.
- When you pick up your medicines from the pharmacy, make sure you ask your pharmacist to confirm that the medicine is in fact the medicine that we have prescribed. Feel comfortable in asking him about any other side effects or potential problems that the medication may cause with your other prescription medications.
- If you have a test or an x-ray, we would like you to schedule an appointment to go over all of the information. No news is not necessarily good news.
- If you are having surgery please be sure that you know exactly what will be done and exactly how it will be done.
- After a surgery or a treatment, make sure you fully understand the post treatment plan that you will use at home. Review all medications and understand your follow-up visits.
At Sinus Center-Idaho, we believe the more you know about your health, the healthier you will be. We encourage you to share this information with your family, and indeed have your family come in for visits so that they can become part of your healthcare team.